Congratulations on the purchase of your new home! There are a lot of things to take into consideration when moving. Owning a home for the first time is exciting, but without planning it can be very stressful! Here are my moving tips for first time homeowners:
1. Research, Research, Research
Before hiring a moving company, make sure to do your research! Choose a mover that is licensed and insured. You can do so by checking the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Lucky for my Massachusetts pals I’ve already done this part for you!
Fresh Start - The Moving Crew is a highly rated furniture mover out of Worchester, MA. From full-service to do-it-yourself moving and storage, Fresh Start – The Moving Crew will guide you through the entire process, door-to-door.
2. Label All Boxes
If you pack without labeling, you are making a HUGE mistake. Make sure to label every box by room to make it easier on yourself and the movers! In addition, all fragile items should be labeled to avoid becoming damaged while on route.
3. Don’t Forget About Snail Mail
Don’t forget to forward your mail! I recommend doing this a week before your move date. To forward your mail before the move, go to USPS.com or visit your local USPS location.
4. Don’t Buy Boxes
Don’t waste money on buying boxes. Go to your local package store and grocery store. They are always happy to give away boxes. In addition, utilize Facebook town groups. Ask your neighbors and friends to save their boxes! Most likely someone in town has recently moved and would love you to take some boxes of their hands! Save the planet and some money.
5. Clean Out Your Garage, Closets, and Kitchen
Donate old items you don’t need to bring with you! Don’t bring something you don’t use anymore; it takes up space and ends up costing you more money in moving fees. I filled an entire dumpster prior to my move.
6. It’s Ok to Ask for Help
Do you have an oversized or fragile item that requires special packing or crating? Fresh Start – The Moving Crew specializes in packing and crating your most sentimentally valuable keepsakes. Don’t risk breaking heirlooms or stress over how to pack those difficult items. These are some of the most difficult items to pack that you can receive assistance with:
China and crystal
Electronics and gaming equipment
Knickknacks & keepsakes
Delicate, ornate and antique items
Clothing and linens
Window treatments and curtains
Pantry items and perishables
Sporting goods, trophies, and taxidermy
Shop tools for woodworking
Specialty auto tools and parts
I had an amazing team help me move and let me tell you it was worth it! It made unpacking painless/stress free.
7. Make a Budget
Moving is expensive! Make a budget and stick to it. You should know exactly how much money you make per month after taxes. Make sure you’re accounting for your mortgage payments, utilities, and food! Also, don’t forget about property tax. Research your town/city prior so you have a general idea and it’s not a surprise when you get the bill!
8. Make a Checklist of What You Need
Have a list of everything you need to buy for your new home. This checklist will help you stay in budget/ensure you are ready for move in day. This was my essentials list for the first couple weeks in my new home.
· My Bed- This was the first thing we had delivered. Make sure you set aside sheets, pillows, and blankets.
· Curtains-I set aside curtains for my bedroom/bathroom. Assess your new space and see what rooms you will need to hang curtains in for your first week.
· Tools-Hammers, box cutters, screwdrivers, and nails. These will be essentials as you begin to unpack.
· Step Stool/Ladder-This was a huge help when I moved in! I’m so thankful I threw it in my car last minute.
· Bathroom Essentials- Pack your shower curtain, toiletries, and towels in a separate bag/box. Don’t forget about the toilet paper!
· Cleaning Supplies- I made sure my Vacuum Swiffer, and Lysol wipes were in my car for my first day. You’ll want to sanitize/clean your home before you start putting things away.
· Chargers- Don’t forget your computer/phone chargers. You don’t want to be digging through boxes looking for those your first night.
9. Have Fun!
Being a first-time homeowner is exciting! Enjoy every moment and have fun decorating. Make the place your own.
Good luck on your move!
Get a Quote Now: Furniture Movers Worcester